Monday, July 19, 2010

One Little Beefer

My littlest turned one on Saturday. Oh my. What that does to a mommy's heart. I was reminiscing all day long as to where I was in the process of labor (my midwife had me walking around Lowe's Home Improvement store until my contractions were about a minute apart) and shed some tears as I wrote in  his journal that morning, while the house was still quiet.

I had been preparing all week by making miniature hamburger and hot dogs out of fondant to place on top of his cupcakes. I was inspired by his nickname, Beefers, for the theme of the party. It took me weeks to figure out what I wanted to do. He's too little to love any type of Disney character or for me to know that he loves fire trucks or zoo animals, (but I'm pretty sure he loves himself and so do we) so it was settled. We would have a Backyard BBQ themed 1st birthday party.

Back to the fondant. I've never used this stuff in my life. I've eaten, liked it, watch people on Food Network battle it out for $10,000 with it, but never manipulated it. Now, back in the crafting days of the early '90's my mom and I did our fair share of polymer clay sculpting. Everything from Christmas tree decorations to piggy earrings...yes, pig earrings were somehow considered cool back then. I think that training gave me an edge.



I had a blast creating these edible, sugary faux foods. It was an assembling  line that couldn't have been cuter. I love mini things. I was actually bummed when I was done. I wanted more to do.



So here's the run down if you want to make your own little cupcake fondant toppers:

1. Go to your local craft store and buy a box of white rolled fondant, I use Wilton brand.
2. Use the gel paste, not regular food coloring, to color your fondant. Use tiny amounts to start off with. Colors like red and brown required more color than yellows and greens.
3. Mix them with gloves on!
4. Keep fondant that you are not using wrapped up. It dries out quickly.
5. Use cornstarch to keep it from sticking you your board.
6. Use tiny amounts of water to adhere one piece to another.

But I had plenty to do in getting ready for the party, so I did these a couple days ahead and they keep perfectly, most likely, indefinitely.





Those are my rookie tips. I would definitely do it again. I find tedious work like that relaxing, but for some it would equal bald spots...from ripping their hair out. I made 12 hot dogs and 12 hamburgers. Totally Beefer-licious!




He was so excited to check out the cake he put his foot in it. I don't think anyone ate that one.






He refused to wear his hat, which I figured would happen, so his brother and sister gladly helped out in that department...they are still wearing the hats, three days later.



We had a great time and after he figured out what to do with the cake, he was happy for about 3 minutes and then decided he'd had enough.







Happy Birthday, my precious baby boy!

15 comments:

  1. Lauren no wonder you were MIA! I missed you and I love the cupcakes. Great job mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... that boy is a mess! All that chocolate on his face. But those cupcakes look incredible. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the cutest things I've ever seen! Great job! Now I will have to give it a go, right after I figure out what fondant is ;-) My baby girl turned one last week too! ;-) We did a Strawberry Shortcake party (for nostalgic purposes ;-)
    btw, piggie earings were totally cool! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great party! Great job on the fondant, I might have to get some of it, those were so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are your first attempt??? Lady - YOU need to get yourself onto the Food Network Challenge! I'm soooooo amazed, I would put my foot in these too. Happy birthday to the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa- thank you girl! Yes, I know, I took a little break from blogging to prepare for the party. So fun.

    Brian-thank you! I loved that he was a total mess. best part of the party. I gave him a good bath then it was present time!

    Healthy mama- awww. Happy birthday to your baby! Strawberry shortcake ROCKS! I'm pretty sure I had one of those. yes, piggy earring were da bomb! give the fondant a go, it's super fun.

    spookiequeen- thank you. try it out it's so much fun. easy to use and tastes pretty good.

    Belinda- thank you! well, I guess I could be on the challenge if they had it just for fondant sculptures, other than that I might not fair so well. Anywho, thank you for the sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are ADORABLE! They came out so well, it looks like you've been working with fondant forever. I like how you came out of your first fondant experience, glowing and wanting to do it again where I came out of my first sugar paste experience scarred for life :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lauren
    you are simply amazing, I can't believe you have never worked with fondant....I wouldn't no where to begin. Those cupcakes look like they should win cupcake wars! and your little ones are perfect....how do you find the time to do what you do.
    all the best
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  9. How adorable are these...and you little ones are so precious:)Happy Birthday to your baby...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lawyer- thank you! wow, sugar paste? cool! sorry about the scarring;)

    Dennis- thank you, they are pretty cute kids, huh? I guess, I just fit stuff in whenever I can...a lot of seizing the moment kinda stuff:)

    Magic- thank you. they are special kiddos. we love them so!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HaaaHaaa, Dennis is too funny... cupcake wars. ;-)
    btw, super great pics Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lauren, those little fondant humburgers and hotdogs came out flawless! What a cute idea and what cute kids you have!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is so adorable! Not only was it a creative idea, but it came out perfect. I'm so jealous. I usually have these cool ideas for food that end up crushed by my lack of know-how.

    Your kids are all very cute, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lauren,
    These are brilliant...the most adorable thing I've seen! I think I would have lost patience about half way through! My foodie, friend, you are the best! Love it...Love you!
    Lorraine

    p.s..your pic with your little doll is so cute....and it looks like you are wearing a tiara with that light fixture behind you! haha...knowing you, it was planned that way! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Foodie House! If you have any questions, feel free to leave them here or email me. I appreciate your support and LOVE hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...