Monday, July 25, 2011

Don't Turn on Your Ovens! Ice Cream Cake to the Rescue!

 I'm pretty sure it's hot everywhere right now, and I'm pretty sure there are tons of us home cooks wishing we could make what we love to make without sweating through our aprons, donning extra coats of deodorant and rockin' headbands just to make it through dinner.

So we don't cook.

We say to our family, "It's sandwiches again tonight, kids." (To which, my kids anyways, start celebrating that I'm not forcing grilled zucchini salad and salmon cakes down their throats.- They just don't like it yet.)

Or we make giant salads or eat bowls of salsa and chips and call it dinner. Growing up, BLT's were the hot weather meal of choice.

So when it comes to baking in the summer, it's really tough. It feels like the oven is burping out copious amounts of hot-air balloon quality air and it's chapping my face! Slight exaggeration, but seriously, I do not enjoying doing loads of dishes in Sahara-like temperatures while dusty balls of camel hair roll past my feet. Okay, yet another slight exaggeration.

My little Tiny just turned two and I wanted something fun and festive for his cake. Cupcakes are overdone and tedious. I wanted something I could slap together and forget about, and preferably NOT use the oven.

 So I made this!

I had made this recipe some years ago, loved it and then forgot about it. It re-emerged like flotsam on the high seas of this brain of mine and I quickly decided this would be the BEST recipe for his birthday party. And it did turn out pretty great. I did, however, forget one little thing...his party was outside in 96 degree heat. All I can say is that we ate it pretty fast and licked our plates clean.
 
 
 My favorite part of this cake is the outside ring of quartered ice cream sandwiches! It's such a stunning presentation. It looks complex but couldn't be easier.
 
 Layered Ice Cream Cake
Adapted from Family Circle Magazine's recipe



Ingredients
  • 15   Oreos ( I used about 5-6 more because I didn't feel the crust was thick enough)
  • 1 tablespoon  milk (I added and extra tbsp for the extra Oreos)
  • 8 to 9   ice cream sandwiches, depending on size
  • 1 pint  mint chocolate chip ice cream
  • 1 pint  vanilla frozen yogurt (I used ice cream)
  • 1 pint  strawberry ice cream or frozen yogurt
Directions

Coat bottom and side of a 9-inch round springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line side with waxed paper, using spray to help adhere to pan. Trim paper to height of pan.
Finely crush 12 of the cookies (this is where I added the extras) in a food processor. Add milk; pulse just until mixture holds together. Set aside.

Unwrap 4 ice cream sandwiches. Working quickly, cut each in quarters. Stack strips of sandwiches on end, packing them snugly together, around waxed-paper-lined pan. Repeat with remaining sandwiches to form a stand-up edge. Spoon cookie crumbs into center of pan; press firmly over bottom. Freeze 1 hour.

Remove all 3 flavors of ice cream or frozen yogurt from freezer and let soften for 15 minutes at room temperature. Transfer mint ice cream to a small bowl and stir until good but firm spreading consistency. Repeat with vanilla and strawberry. Remove pan from freezer. Spread mint ice cream on bottom, then top with vanilla and strawberry, spreading all layers level. 
I used my off-set spatula to create a pattern on the top of the cake. The original recipe called for Cool Whip on top, but I don't like that stuff so I skipped it. I then broke the extra Oreos in half and stuck them in around the edge for a nice finished look.
To serve, remove side of pan, then waxed paper. Cut into wedges. It works well to use a sharp knife and dip it in hot water before you cut.

P.S. I was able to find all the ice creams without egg (unfortunately they were not "high end" brands like a luscious Hagen Daz or something like that, but I was just happy I didn't have to make the ice cream!!!) so everyone was happy.



Is that a cherub hovering over that cake? Yes, yes it is.

Told ya it was hot.

That pretty much sums it up. 

Its such a great party dessert. I hope this get you out of your hot kitchen and your face into some ice cream!

Love ya, Foodies!

13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to the little guy! Looks like an awesome cake and perfect for the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Lauren!!!

    I saw this set of pics on your FB and was hoping you'd write a post with the cake! What a great idea to have ice cream sandwiches circling the cake--adorable!! Speaking of adorable...that tiny little guy of yours is too cute for his own good. Looks like his mama helped him have the happiest of birthdays!

    Keep enjoying summer with your sweet family:)
    XOXO,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cake for a birthday, it does look like everybody was a little hot in those pictures so I am sure your cake was an awesome treat. It looks really fantastic. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so awesome! Love the ice cream sandwiches and oreos! I'm going to save this to try some time :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lauren, this ice cream cake is fun, fun, fun- just like you! I love the look of your blog- good to see you doing your thing and staying cool in the Summer heat;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea! Happy Birthday Tiny :-) Kate@kateiscooking

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved seeing this cake...and then everyone enjoying it! We all need some cool weather eats right now. Thank you for sharing this sweet dessert, my friend. I'm hungry and wishing I could have THIS for dinner. Blessings and love from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What brand of ice cream sandwiches did you use? I ended up having to stack two layers of them to meet the height of the plan. Cake came out great. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. holy ice cream cake! That looks riciculously fantastic! are you not on Twitter? i tried to find ya.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy bday to your little man! I used to love having BLTs. That cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used the bluebell mini ice cream sandwiches, and they were the perfect height! I wish there were 1-2 more in the box though...I had a gap in my cake. But I think it'll turn out ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @K and Q- I used Blue Bunny ice cream sandwiches. I don't think I said how to cut the sandwiches into quarters. First down the center long ways and then across the middle short ways. This creates a four long pieces. Sorry about that. I'm sure it still turned out super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg... i just died & went into oreo heaven! this looks so so pretty & i so simple! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Foodie House! If you have any questions, feel free to leave them here or email me. I appreciate your support and LOVE hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...