Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Caramelized Onions 101

Here's the nitty-gritty on the onions, well, caramelizing them anyways. The process takes some time, but you will be rewarded. In my book, this is my favorite way of eating onions. And it doesn't stop there, you can add caramelized onions into so many dishes. It's a good basic to have and we will refer back to this post on a later day. So keep this one under your belt.



Caramelized Onions Recipe

prep time: 10 minutes cook time: 45 minutes serves: 2

1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp. sugar
1 tbls. butter
1 tbls. olive oil
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme, stripped of their leaves
salt and pepper to taste

In a pan over medium-low heat, melt your butter and oil. Add onions, thyme, sugar, salt and pepper. Let the onions cook down slowly. Stir occasionally. Heat should never get over medium heat. Soon they will start to deepen in color and get very soft. Cook until you are satisfied with the color and texture, but I like to let them go for about 45 minutes. Eat them alone or over a steak or in a quiche. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren, thanks for visiting my blog, hope you enjoyed :)

    You have a nice blog, and about caramelized onions, actually i do not like onion but your tips make me want to try it :) ha ha ha,.

    wait for your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Malkovicht! I hope you do try them. I am not a huge raw onion lover, but I do love them cooked down like this. I think you would enjoy these! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren,

    I love this recipe and the video! very informative on how to make caramelized onions. I think onions go amazing with any dish! i love caramelized onions! thanks for the recipe AND video! the video is the best part!

    Patrick @ Appetite for Good

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Foodie House! If you have any questions, feel free to leave them here or email me. I appreciate your support and LOVE hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...