Thursday, August 11, 2011

Oh, My Peas! Tasty and Entertaining Purple Hull Peas

 Boo greedily hoarding her stash of the peas.

I found something new for my kids to play with. Doesn't cost me much and after they are done playing, we can eat it. That toy is purple hull peas.

Now, don't start calling me a hippie just yet, I'm not sporting patchouli or letting the pit-hairs grow, I'm just saying that I loved the fact that my kids were entertained by these peas for 45 minutes. No T.V., no whining, just a few minor fights over who gets more, which is a given.


I could not pass up these peas at our local farmer's market last week. I could however, used a bit more input from the purveyors of these fine peas.

Me: Wow! These are amazing. I'll take one box. How do you cook these? I've never done it.

Seller: (young guy, wearing an unusually distracting fedora on his head, which was covered in all sorts of buttons with crude sayings) Um...(glances over to older, most-likely grandfather, who mumbles something and looked like he forgot his dentures that morning) I guess, just cook 'em like any other pea.

Me: (suddenly extremely enlightened and constantly resisting the urge to read his stupid hat buttons) Oh. Okay.

Then he sold me some crappy peaches.


So without being more informed on the cooking of these gorgeous peas than I was when I walked into that market I decided the best bet was to add bacon and onions. That's good with just about any vegetable.



So that's what I did.

Tiny with his stash.


They turned out really, really good. I couldn't stop eating them. I even got the kids to eat them one. Well, at least it's a start.

Purple Hull Peas with Bacon and Onion

2 slices bacon, diced
1/2 sweet onion, diced
(sorta guessing here) 1-1 1/2 cups shelled  purple hull peas
1/2 cup water
Salt and pepper

Brown bacon until nearly crispy, add onion and cook until nice and brown. Add peas and water. Cover and let steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove cover and let moisture cook off and peas get a little browned. Season to taste.

Love ya, Foodies!



11 comments:

  1. Such pretty peas. Who knew they had such entertainment value? I was tickled the kiddies were so amused. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome find!! Need those to keep my wee cheeky ones on order! :) mmm bacon lol at the fedora!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh, so THAT'S what you do with those! I always wondered the same thing meself. Thanks for clearing up the mystery! Glad to hear the kidlets have simple tastes--teaching 'em some good values there Lauren:)

    XOXO,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - great photos and story! Hugs, Kate @ kateiscooking

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous healthy dish, looks fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the crappy peaches! Is it weird that I actually want to eat your photos more than the recipe? Your photos are gorgeous! 45 minutes of activity? That is what I call minding your "peas." Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your little guys are so cute. What do you have against patchouli...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen those peas before and they make up a lovely dish. Your serving bowl looks as good as the peas themselves. Glad the kids were entertained!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a long tradition of hulling purple hull peas and whippoorwill peas. All of our kiddos love it and no they don't fight while they are busy! If you come across the later mentioned peas.... BUY THEM ALL!! They are soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again...LOVE. I love seeing all of these beautiful vegetables, your beautiful family and hearing your beautiful voice. I love peas! Thank you for sharing this simple recipe. I'm eager to try it out on my own. I love visiting your blog before my work day. I need to begin with a smile :-) Have a wonderful rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the guy in the farmer's market. That was exactly the reaction I got when I bought figs for the first time. Me: "What do you do with figs? How do you eat them?" Lady behind the counter: You just eat em. Or you can cook em. whatever you want. LOL. Those peas look so pretty! I think I have seen them at the market but didn't know what to do with them so I have never bought them. Maybe I will buy some.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Foodie House! If you have any questions, feel free to leave them here or email me. I appreciate your support and LOVE hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...